Hillel at Washington University in St. Louis
Are you looking for a rewarding position a few hours per week as a vital part of an organization with a meaningful mission? Join the team at Hillel at Washington University in St. Louis (WashU Hillel) and help inspire the lives of thousands of the brightest and most talented Jewish college students in the country! The Accountant is responsible for preparing the organization’s financial statements, ensuring compliance with accounting standards, and supporting the organization’s finance and HR needs, so the staff can foster a vibrant Jewish community on campus.
Position pays $50 per hour (5 hours per week, on average).
- Oversee bookkeeping, accounts payable, and credit card reconciliation functions conducted by staff Administrator
- Reconcile bank and investment/endowment accounts
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts and prepare journal entries for monthly close
- Prepare financial statements and reports for Board of Directors and funders
- Serve as Hillel staff lead in connection with annual external audit process; prepare audit documentation and draft statements for external auditors
- Prepare grant budget reports
- Prepare and process payroll bi-weekly, as well as setting up new hires and employee departures in Hillel’s HRIS (currently Paycom), including health insurance premium calculations, vacation accruals/payouts, and related items
- Assist staff in preparing annual program budgets and grant proposal budgets
- In coordination with the Chief Executive Officer and Board Finance Committee, prepare organization’s annual operating budget
- Assist with staff training in the areas of budget development/management, fiscal accountability, financial procedures, human resources, and other areas, as needed
- Align general ledger accounting practices to support reporting, budgeting, and forecasting
- Ensure compliance with all WashU Hillel, local, state, and federal accounting and financial regulations
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- CPA license and/or 7+ years of relevant work experience in Jewish or other nonprofit preferred
- Experience utilizing QuickBooks Online
- Strong written and verbal skills, with an ability to effectively and proactively communicate with a variety of stakeholders, including staff, communal partners, and Board leadership
About WashU Hillel:
WashU Hillel has enhanced the lives of thousands of college students and helped Washington University cultivate one of the most vibrant campus Jewish communities in the country. We are honored to play an important role in advancing the University’s goal of “knowing every student by name and by story,” and are the only organization that fosters Jewish pluralism on campus.
We have a beautiful home on Forsyth, but we are more than just our building and the programs that take place there. WashU Hillel seeks to support and empower Jewish students along their own unique paths…wherever they are and in whatever ways are most meaningful to them.
Whether that means simply making new friends; participating in social impact programs, Birthright Israel trips, Shabbat and holiday meals, Israel advocacy, Jewish learning, social events, or religious services; or helping students gather among small groups of friends for a catered Shabbat dinner, Yom Kippur Break Fast, Passover Seder, or other Jewish experience on or off campus – there’s something for everyone.
Our Hillel currently serves 1,850+ Jewish undergraduates attending Washington University. Students from other universities in the St. Louis region enjoy our programming as well. During the 2021-22 academic year, we engaged almost 2,000 students in our programs, including over 1,000 Jewish undergraduates at WashU.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
WashU Hillel is a Jewish Federation of St. Louis Community Partner and affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.